Google is celebrating its 18th birthday on Wednesday with an animated Doodle shown to web browsers around the world.
The internet giant is marking the milestone by inviting users of its search engine to “explore 19 surprises we’ve launched over the past 19 years” when you click on the Doodle.
Story of Google
Google is arguably one of the best inventions in the history of the IT industry. Google has changed how we have information and has become synonym with all kinds of information search on the internet. So much so that ‘Google It’ is a favorite lingo among the kids today. Today, Google as a business has grown to provide products much beyond just the search engine domain name. In this article, we have a peek at the co-founder of Google Larry Page and also the story of Google, its inception, success & growth.
Google – Quick Facts:
- Co-Founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google is an American multinational tech firm specializing in Internet-related products and services.
- The term Google is a play on ‘googol’, which is a mathematical expression for the amount represented by the numerical 1 followed by 100 zeros.
- Google currently procedures 40,000 research queries per minute, which translates to over 3.5 billion searches every day and 1.2 trillion searches annually worldwide.
- In 2012, an internal Google report disclosed that Google’s search engine saw over 30 trillion unique URLs on the web, crawls 20 billion sites every day, and procedures 100 billion searches each month.
- In 2015, American multinational conglomerate Alphabet Inc. was created as the parent firm of Google and a lot of other companies previously owned by or tied to Google. The reorganization of Google into Alphabet has been finished on October 2, 2015.
- In November 2015, Google was ranked first among the most visited multi-platform web properties in the United States with 247 million U.S. unique visitors along with a market share of 63.9 percent one of the leading U.S search engine providers.
Lawrence ‘Larry’ Page is an American Computer Scientist and also an internet entrepreneur that co-founded Google with Sergey Brin in 1998. Larry Page is the CEO of Google’s parent firm Alphabet Inc. Born on March 26, 1973, in East Lansing, Michigan, his dad was a Ph. D in Computer Science and a professor at Michigan State University and his mom an instructor in computer programming. A voracious reader in his childhood, Page spent a great deal of time poring over Science & Technology novels and magazines. Page consistently liked to invent things and in age 12 understood that someday he was going to begin a corporation.
Page took over as the CEO of Google in 2011 taking over the reins out of Eric Schmidt and resigned and handed over the charge to Sundar Pichai in 2015. Page is currently the CEO of Alphabet and Sergey Brin its President.
Page’s life was hugely influenced by four factors; his grandfather’s history in the first labor movement, his education in Montessori schools, his admiration for his protagonist- that the visionary inventor Nikola Tesla, along with his participation in the leadership institute in the University of Michigan’s Engineering School. Page admitted in an interview that the hardships of his grandfather’s story made him wish to make Google an entirely different kind of office, one which, instead of crushing the dreams of employees, invited their pursuit.
Page suffers from paralyzed vocal cords which are brought on by an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. The Page family foundation often donates to charities and also in 2014 Page contributed $15 million to aid the attempts against the Ebola virus epidemic in West Africa.
The ‘Who Launched Google’ Story
In the year 1995, while in the Stanford University, Larry Page and Sergei Brin initiated the procedure for developing an internet search engine as part of their study project & termed it because of the “BackRub”. This search engine was designed to research the connecting links between web pages in order to determine that a site’s authority.
In the year 1996, Page’s web crawler started to learn more about the web, with Stanford homepage serving as the initial stage. Later in the year 1998, Page and Brin decided to officially incorporate their organization & set up their first data center in a garage.
Shortly Page & Brin began looking for investors to back their initiative. Within a period of time, the duo was able to raise more than $1 million.
Finally, Google, Inc. was established on September 7, 1998, with its first worker being Craig Silverstein, who afterward became Google’s Director of Technology. Initially, Google functioned over 10,000 queries per day & steadily gained a reputation of the most reliable source of information. From 1999, it had been serving more than 500,000 queries every day and the business soon expanded from a mere four wall garage to currently a mega office that is headquartered in Mountain View, California.
- In 2002, Page was named a World Economic Forum Global Leader for Tomorrow and combined with Sergey Brin was appointed by MIT’s Technology Review publication as one of the top 100 innovators in the world below the age of 35.
- In 2004, X PRIZE picked Page as a breach of their board and he had been elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
- In 2008 Page received theCommunication Award from King Felipe in the Princess of Asturias Awards on behalf of Google.
- Through time, Google has achieved several spectacular milestones. Their audience continued to expand rapidly combined with their reputation for being the most efficient, reliable firm offering pertinent data look at maximum speeds.
Below are a few of Google’s accomplishments listed under.
Ad Sense is a self-serving advertising platform which plays a significant part in giving Websites a fully automated method to earn money. For Google, it almost accounts for at least 30 percent of its total revenues.
Google Maps is one of the biggest inventions for Google that creates the backbone for several important services like Latitude, Places, and Maps Navigation.
Gmail is a Favorite Web-based e-mail program Exactly like Hotmail and Yahoo Mail. It functions as a home base for additional Google services like Google Chat, voice calls, and contacts.
Google took over Android Inc. in 2005 and declared the Android smartphone program within two Decades. Today it has grown into a massive success & has been the consumer marketplace’s best-selling smartphone system.
In October 2006 Google purchased the one-year-old YouTube for about $1.65 billion in Google stock. YouTube enables registered users to upload videos onto their stations where anyone can observe them. Shortly, Google’s mobile system was able to leap before Apple’s I-Phone revenue.
By partnering with Apple to provide the default search engine on iPhone’s, Google gained a great foothold on the fast-growing mobile operating platform. This led to a rapid expansion & domination of Google in the mobile search industry.
These are merely a few of the achievements of Google Inc. Click here to get a detailed list of all Google products and services.
So, now you understand the function that Larry Page and Google perform in helping us finish our day-to-day assignments and perform well in examinations.